Pages

Thursday 13 June 2013

mentor, pragmatic, wise .. thank you

I'm graduating.  Work invested in me and my future by encouraging me to enroll and participate in a leadership program.  It was an eighteen month commitment and really well worth the time and energy.  If you would like to improve your leadership skill set check out Kouzes and Posner's work.  I recommend.

What on earth does this have to do with a paper craft?  Clever.  You've noticed the title, put two and two together and realized that I can barely say no to the simple six-word query: Pam can you create a card?

Leadership participants were organized into groups of six or seven members.  We created an identity, selected a group name and became a support system for each other in our journey.  The chief support was our mentor.  A Leadership Program Alumni.  A fearless leader to champion our development, to encourage our progress and carve the path to success (kick butt, take no prisoners, teach us the way of the guru).

  
I capitalized on an opportunity to try my hand at distressing using Tim Holtz distress paints (salty ocean, seedless preserves, picked raspberry).  I added some depth and texture with the distress inks (peacock feathers, vintage photo) and was very excited with my final product.  The stamp is from the Dylusions Couture Collection inked with the Archival Ink Jet Black and outlined with Ranger Distress Marker Picket Fence.  Fun to use distress markers?  You bet.  I felt like Agent 355 when the distress marker went on clear.  My etchings were secret code until they dried.  




I selected three key words to best describe our captain: mentor (sometimes simple and obvious is best, plus I had to start somewhere), pragmatic and wise.

The tags were distressed with peacock feathers and vintage photo inks on white textured cardstock, braded (nouveau word?) and popped up to give zing.

Although I had stamped over the paper break at the top of the card to bring some unity, it still seemed really disjointed so I added a dash of washi tape.  Did the trick.  I learned how to make my own washi tape and tried it out a few days ago.  Turned out pretty nicely.  You can expect to see homemade washi (will I then call it pamshi?) tape.






Studio G has some very nice materials for a great low price.  The thank you brad is a Studio G design and I used Studio G ink for the musical notes.  I love the way colour leaps up against the tag colours and gives the image some additional dimension.  The floating butterflies are stamped in Studio G grey ink and highlighted with the Picket Fence distress marker.  It was liberating being messy.



I decided that the tag really needed to be the focus of the card and maintained the surrounding colours in neutrals.  With the monotone colours, I wanted to draw your eyes around the page and not have them get stuck in any one area. I was really pleased with the silver embossing.  The embossing powder clung to the musical stamp accidentally, however, and the result is like controlled chaos.


What I haven't shown you is the inside.  So fun!  The group, for the graduation ceremony, had to find avatars to represent themselves for the table decoration.  I used copies of our avatars in lieu of our signatures.  Turned out very cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment