Pages

Sunday 16 June 2013

best of times, best of dads

My husband loves this photo of Alex.  Alex had been hanging out with Dyeda in the basement (also referred to as the treasure cave where one man's treasure is .. well, I wasn't entirely fond of the 30 year old rabbit's foot that had to come home with us - rabbit's feet start to shed when they reach a certain age) and found these great headphones.

I linked the 70s-style headphones to music, handlebar moustaches and a time stamp to reflect an era of yesteryear.  I really like the way the theme of this card came together and that it maintained its meaningfulness and purpose - Father's Day.


To create the backdrop of the card I used Tim Holtz Distressing Inks (broken china, tea dye) and Prima Donna Downey Studios Perforated Dot Flower stencil.  The results gave me goose bumps.  I never had so much fun using a stencil before.  I very much liked the way the distressing turned out, however, I wanted a bit of pop and began doodling using a metallic marker.

I used stamps from 7 gypsies and Tim Holtz Visual Artistry Collection Stampers Anonymous.  My trusty musical stamp made an appearance on the photo.

If you notice off to the side there is a dotted strip of paper with cross-stitching and again a strip at the top of the card which functions nicely as a disconnected frame.  This is my first attempt at stitching on a paper craft.  I've been meaning to dig my sewing machine out of the basement for a while (I really want to re-cover my cushions in the sunroom).  However, I have so many new paper craft goodies I'm not sure it'll happen this summer.  Maybe a few more stitching pieces and I'll get the itch for a bigger accomplishment.


The image behind Alex was embossed with a Sizzix moustache embossing folder I found at the Inked Stamper.  I distressed it with Distressing Paint (picket fence) and Distressing Ink (vintage photo).  Recollections is responsible for the moustache and screw brads.  I decided to add a little ribbon for colour.  The back of the ribbon was stark white and to not have it become so incredibly prominent, I distressed it with vintage photo.




In order to really make the photo part of the card I added the stamp and some metallic doodling.



Happy Father's Day to all the great dads out there.  And a very very special Father's Day to my guy, Alex's dad.  We love you to bits and pieces xx

No comments:

Post a Comment