I'm entering this layout in three challenges:
1. Berry 71 Bleu September sketch plus mixed media challenge
2. About A Boy September 1 black white + one challenge. Creating a layout using black, white and one other colour (green).
And 3. Scrap Around the World September 2013 Challenge 5 bold graphic. The mood board is striking and definitely inspirational:
The bottom centre image of the child holding the adult's hand inspired my selection of photos for my layout. It's often fun to observe our children engaging in more "adult-like" behaviours, such as gently sipping
I covered the 12x12 manila cardstock with gesso and white acrylic. Across the bottom and up the right-hand side I added homemade crackle. It worked out so well that I decided to use the same technique on the tea cup itself which was cut out with, along with the black and white butterflies, the Silhouette Cameo. The tea cup, saucer and steam were cut out of Tim Holtz grungepaper and the two vellum butterflies were cut out using a Memory Box die cut.
I added green (Dylusions Ink Spray dirty martini) and black (black acrylic paint mixed with water) splatters across the entire layout and a tea cup stain at the bottom right for some whimsy. The black paint mixed with water created tiny bubbles and the effect as they popped was fantastic. Alex is very familiar with the bubble technique. He sometimes uses dishsoap, food colouring and water to create his own bubbly art in a larger bubble version. On small or large scales bubbles are fun, beautiful and make very lovely art pieces.
I punched out the three little butterflies from vellum and tissue paper, placed them on the tea cup and doodled some bits both on the butterflies and tea cup.
I love the layered and rough frame in Debbie's sketch, especially against the delicate butterflies and flowers, and recreated my own pseudo-frame with two different layers of washi tape.
The butterflies were stamped with random images and one was embossed. I was aiming for non-uniformity. Success.
Inspired by Holly's (in the fun lane) post on dipped beads I tried my hand at dipping. I like dipping. A lot. But I have made a mental note to make sure that I (a) secure my dip object to the wire better(one poor bead took a plunge and got a green bath) and (b) secure a proper drying space before dipping instead of running around with a dripping dipped bead trying to find a good location to dry.
I modge podged one bead with green tissue paper and the tissue gave the bead a really nice texture. I love modge podge and tissue. Wonderful and dangerous duo (tissue loves modge podge as much as I do).
I love Alex's expression in this photo below.
Years ago, just after Alex was born, Canadian Tire had an incredible sale on sewing machines. Although I had not sewn anything since Home Economics in grade 8, I had ambition to start sewing. Major project: create new cushion covers for the couch, love seat and chair in the sun-room to match the developing naval theme. Minor project: sew paper and material to incorporate stitching in my paper projects. My ambition remained in the planning stage - until now. I'm still working on lightening up on my lead foot but with a few attempts the end result was successful. Onto the major project! First step: find naval-type fabric. Second step: Check my sewing apprehension at the door and go for it! Maybe step (1a) is: create a small-sized cushion cover. Until then, I will definitely be stitching all over my paper projects.