Pages

Saturday 14 September 2013

those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night - Edgar Allan Poe

Alex and I found these little beauties at a garage sale for $5.  Both of us are huge Halloween fans (Alex also adores everything spider) and so it wasn't a surprise when they followed us home. 




My vision: the lamps rest quietly until the end of September when all of the Halloween decorations are officially pulled out and added to the lawn and house.  Alex's vision: they are immediately included in his bedroom decor as night lights.  

Issue: finding a location where the lamps don't fall over with every slight breeze.  Solution: re-purpose a flower pot to hold our night lights upright.

The flower pot selected was a once gift from mr. click, print, scrapbook which included a bunch of homemade, gluten-free cake pops (it was mmm mmm delicious).  To create a spooky Halloween-y night light holder I first applied gesso and white acrylic paint to the rim of the flower pot.  The rim was stamped with Archival black ink and a fantastic cobweb and spider wood stamp that I found at Michaels for $1.50.  I also stamped skulls, potion bottles, ravens and potion labels onto the pages of Edgar Allan Poe's collective work (found at garage sale for $.50 and of which we already own a copy.  mr. everythingshetouches was feeling a little uneasy about the book ripping and sacrifice although I tried convincing him that I was using my crafting for good and not evil.  He stills looks at the final product with skepticism.  Oh well) and modge poged the tore pages onto the flower pot.  

The theme-related book and the book pages themselves makes this project a good fit for Anything But A Card Hitting the Books Challenge #27.




The fence and birch trees are Memory Box die cuts.  The stamps were taken from the Graphic 45 Steampunk Spells stamp set and the Ranger dylusions monster mash set.


 
I free-hand drew the two pumpkins and owl (you know I had to have an owl on there somewhere.  I love Halloween and the freedom of many owls).  Alex is crazy in love with the pumpkin gnawing on the mini pumpkin.  He chose the two pumpkin images from Google so props and thanks to the designers!  Both were coloured in with Distress Inks as watercolours and markers.  Highlights were added with my Viva pearl pen and gelly roll pen.



In a previous life, my craft of choice was painting and decorating flower pots.  I stopped because (a) I needed a new craft challenge and (b) my small apartment could only hold so many flower pots.  I had successfully found new homes for all of my "gifts" years ago (I had given nearly all of them away except for one) so it's been a while since I've worked on a 3D medium.  It takes a respite to appreciate what once was - I had an amazing time designing and crafting this flower pot.  And it was even more fun with all of my new products and toys.  I found the Styrofoam eyes at Michaels for $1.69 each. 


Thank you for stopping by. And with this project we have officially started to decorate for Halloween (don't judge I have shown great restraint; if it was up to me it would be Halloween every day in our house but mr. everythingshetouches disagrees that this is a good idea and so we have some winter-ish things at the end of the year because I'm a good sport and paper lanterns in the sun-room for most of the rest of the year).

2 comments:

  1. oh i love it! turned out awesome! thanks for playing in ABAC challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out fantastic. It is hard to create on a 3D round object, specially when stamping.You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete