Pages

Thursday 29 May 2014

you can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - jon kabat-zinn

Before I get into describing my tag in this post I am happy to share with you the news that I reached 5000 views!  I am now officially one year and one day into participating and being part of the blogosphere and I am loving it.  I am so grateful for meeting new people who share my passion and so many talented folks who inspire me every day.

Thank you.

Beach is June's Inked Stamper 10-tag swap theme.  I'm not sure if my inspiration was rampant because we just (not really just but I have been mentally returning on occasion ever since) went on a trip to the Caribbean or if when we did return to Edmonton the weather resembled the innards of a refrigerator but I took to June's theme like a seagull to a crab and tackled it with gusto.



I created the background of the tag with my gelli plate, three acrylic paints (beige, grey and pearlescent teal) and die-cut my 10 tags from 3 prints.  I used the Memory Box garden bare branches stencil to get a negative impression resembling ocean coral and layered Impression Obsession's starfish and seashell background stamp on top with black archival ink.  The starfish and the clam got a layer of glossy accents for added interest and dimension.


I learned a neat trick for cleaning my gelli plate at the retreat this spring using glitter and packing tape.  By sprinkling a touch of glitter around dried paint areas on the plate and using the tape to lift up the residue you get a fantastic ribbon of paint and glitter and your plate is lickable clean (not really but it is really darn tidy).


I painted the mermaid's hair using pearlescent watercolours and added a little punch cut shark on the headband for fun.  It was cut out of a Sookwang sheet, covered in latte Glitter Ritz and burnished to get the added shine.  I recently got introduced to Glitter Ritz (where have I been?) and I am seriously hooked.  I want to ritz everything.  Never really a glitter gal (I also own Tim's Distress Glitter which I am simply mad about) in the past I am now part of the converted.  Watch out.

The seashells are from the Recollections embellishment line.  A brilliant idea donated to me by one of my favourite craft enablers.  Merci.


The mermaid tail was cut from patterned paper and dry embossed to achieve a scaly texture.


The chain and beads attached to the burlap strip reminded me of fishing nets and captured treasures. 


I am entering my beach tag into Inkido's May Challenge: the beach is my happy place.

There have been so many projects in the past few months that I find I am falling behind in my posting.  I owe you a whole bunch of posts which I cannot wait to share.  

Thank you for stopping by and, as always, I appreciate your encouragement and kind words.

5 comments:

  1. Simply amaizing!
    Thanks for joining to us at Inkido!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning tag! So creative! Thanks so much for joining us at Inkido this month! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous tag!
    Thank you for joining at Inkido!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing tag. Gorgeous details! Thanks for playing along with us at Inkido!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet tag! Thanks for sharing with us at INKIDO!

    ReplyDelete